Sr Technical Design Mgr
Develops and mentors technical design team to meet technical design goals and standards and exemplify teamwork, respect, and responsible sourcing.
Motivates and inspires the team to be highly productive and nurtures a healthy workflow on a day-to-day basis.
- Manages a team of 8-10 technical designers
- Coaches team to proactively and effectively problem solve
- Schedules and conducts mid-year assessments with the team and create an environment for two-way open dialogue and constructive feedback sessions
- Exemplary example to Technical Design Team as upholding quality, technical standards, professionalism, and mentoring of direct reports
- Creates an environment of constant improvement through direct mentoring, leveraging of CSC assets and other tools
- Supports and guides team through conflict management
Manages the department flow for Technical Design Team based on prAna’s development calendar and collaborates with Design, Merchandising, Product Development, and Production teams to achieve commercial viability of designs and on-time delivery to consumers.
- Creates a process and workflow to ensure all deadlines are achieved while maintaining the accuracy of information and quality of product
- Proactively communicates deadlines with Technical Design Team and external teams (vendors and suppliers) to ensure product delivery dates are met
- Led team in achieving productive workflow for efficient calendar adherence
- Maintains tracking of seasonal progress, utilizing WIPs, for associated approvals of all samples (proto-types, SMS, and Pre-Production samples); evaluates photos with the team to ensure prAna’s quality standards are met
- Leads Technical Design weekly touch base meetings to keep the team on track with deadlines and resolve any support needed to stay on track
- Overseeing data integrity, including sweeps, proposing the best timing & process to review, and having the ability to confidently pass data to cross-functional teams
- Along with Product Development Manager, achieves specific margin goals for each product set by the Merchandising team by evaluating sewing line capabilities and cost impacts
- Participates in evaluating daily/seasonal processes in Technical Design and how we interact with other teams
- Travels to overseas and domestic factories as needed to ensure fit and construction standards are met while also developing new methodologies to improve future product production.
Cross-functional interaction with all departments of prAna to – deliver the highest quality product in our market with a consumer-first approach to product-specific fit and overall fit consistency. This includes reviewing consumer and prAna store feedback and staying abreast of consumer macro trends related to fit and construction.
- Develops and maintains fit strategy based on consumer-right fit blocks that correlate to consumer activity needs, construction techniques, and fabric performance qualities.
- Creates and implements comprehensive sewing, construction, and finishing standards and grade rule specifications
- Proactively troubleshoots and resolves issues regarding fit, technical construction, quality issues, production viability, and returns
- Led team in the development of 3D software to improve fit consistency and shorten development cycle time.
- In collaboration with Design, Merchandising, and Product Development teams, the Technical Design Manager guides and monitors the garment fit process to ensure the “intended fit” is met and aligned with consumer expectations
- Evaluates consumer return reports and product ratings and build action plans to address related to fit construction and quality.
- Proactively reviews and evaluates QC issues and potential Production issues and communicates findings to cross-functional teams
- A degree in Patternmaking, Fashion Design, or Product Development recommended
- 8+ years of experience in technical design, patternmaking, development, or production
- 2+ years in a management-level role in technical design, development, or production
- Knowledge of the outdoor and yoga markets with the ability to identify brands and comp fits within each industry
- Extensive knowledge of technical apparel construction, fabrics (knits & wovens) & their properties, and fit for categories: Outerwear, Mid-Layer, Performance, Activewear, Swimwear, Lifestyle, Sweaters, Dresses, Accessories
- Experience in base-layer, swim, or other body-conscious apparel, including Plus sizes
- Experience in collaborating with overseas factories. Previous travel to overseas factories is a plus
- Browzwear experience is a plus
- Proficient in: PLM systems, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Full Circle
- Establishes and maintains schedules by prioritizing heavy workloads and multiple seasons overlapping
- Demonstrated flexible work style based on shifting demands and priorities
- Excels in a team-based structure and maintains a positive attitude in a team environment
- Ability to achieve goals, tasks, and responsibilities with a high level of integrity
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to travel internationally at least once or twice per year when needed.