Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with business partners to obtain clear direction and consensus on design aesthetic, fit intent and construction.
- Develop specifications and garment construction methods for assigned product categories from initial style development and cost engineer for bulk production.
- Attend fit sessions with Technical Director, Product Specialist, Design, Merchandising, PD and Sourcing to develop Brand aesthetic, silhouette and proportion within the price point for assigned categories.
- Problem solve all technical issues related to fit and execution including fabric application, construction, grading and cost engineering.
- Effectively communicate fit intent, balance and construction revisions to OVS partners and Direct Vendors via fit notes, diagrams, ¼ scale pattern corrections, digital photos or in 3D.
- Evaluate prototype samples and fit samples for measurement, fit and construction accuracy and quality according to Brand standards.
- Participate in maintaining consistency of technical design and product creation processes.
- Partner with OVS offices and Direct Vendor Technical teams to ensure execution of fit, construction and finishing
- Ensure Brand consistency in aesthetic, fit and construction from vendor to vendor across all styles within a category
- Effectively communicate with cross functional teams to ensure calendar milestone deliverables are met
- Proactively identify and solve potential production, quality and costing issues and make appropriate recommendations for resolutions.
- Ascertain appropriate method of communicating with OVS offices and Direct Vendors to ensure clarity and resolution of issues (video conference, phone, instant message, email, video clips, photos etc).
- Escalate issues when necessary and provide root cause analysis, fact finding and possible solutions.
- Track workload deliverables to ensure individual deadlines are met and work with production partners to avoid garment delivery slides.
- Attend key Milestone meetings to provide technical support with regards to fit and construction
- Foster open communication and team environment with all business partners and receive constructive feedback professionally.
- Build excellent working relationships with cross functional partners in Design, Merchandising, Sourcing and Product Development as well as overseas offices and Direct vendors.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Experience in fitting garments for assigned product categories
- Ability to analyze fit issues and propose valid & actionable solutions
- Experience in creating accurate technical spec packages
- Proficient in patternmaking, grading, construction methods and garment engineering for assigned categories
- Understanding of end to end product development and apparel production process from concept to delivery
- Knowledge of fabric and inner components
- Training and experience working in 3D software
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong sense of urgency, attention to detail and resourcefulness
- Adept at time management with the ability to set priorities, plan and meet overlapping deadlines
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage deadlines and changing priorities
- Competent analytical skills and ability to problem solve
- Dedicated team player
- Expert interpersonal skills and ability to interact with all personality types and cultures
- Ability to openly embrace changes dictated by market conditions
- Advanced computer skills: Google Apps, Microsoft Office Suite (or alternate software), Adobe Illustrator, PLM,
- Knowledge of Gerber AccuMark, Lectra, Optitex, Tukatech (or alternate computer patternmaking software), 3D (Browzwear, CLO3D, Optitex, Tukatech or alternate 3D software)
- B.A. Apparel Design, Patternmaking for Apparel Engineering, or job related equivalent
- 4+ years of experience in Technical Design, and at least two other proficiencies: patternmaking, product engineering, garment construction or pattern grading