Technical Designer – Apparel
Own and manage the fitting of private label and generic label samples from 1st Proto through final production approval. Lead fit sessions on live model and dress form and own process of advising/correcting specification packages to meet the design aesthetic & company financial goals, while maintaining the appropriate fit for varied retail clients across many categories. Possess goal of becoming vendor certified for private label business at multiple retailers and categories.
- Use Mac, Adobe illustrator and multiple PLM platforms (Yunique, Spark, OnePLM and FlexPLM) to manage technical specs & construction, technical sketches, fit comments and grade rules from Design hand-off to Production.
- Work closely with Design counterpart to ensure design integrity is maintained throughout the technical development and fit process.
- Understand our retailer’s private label brands and deliver work that fits within the brand DNA; fulfilling both their needs and white space opportunities.
- Manage fast fashion production timelines and adhere to calendar deadlines for on-time delivery of product.
- Communicate daily with cross functional teams and factories regarding all issues pertinent to accurate execution of samples throughout development and fit process.
- Assist with 3D development communications, private label 3D program management (Spark Virtual & Stylezone) and feedback.
- Establish and manage fit and construction standards to ensure fit intent, consistency and quality are maintained for our retailer private brands and internal generic labels. Drive adherence to fit standards and block patterns.
- Assist in creating grade rules for new product categories and management of existing grade rules.
- Manage style and order continuity across different sample rooms, factories and retailers.
- Identify and proactively resolve production, quality, and cost issues with cross-functional partners prior to the start of Production.
- Provide leadership team feedback on factory performance specific to sample & fit execution to drive continued factory performance improvements. Communicate issues in a timely manner for timely resolution.
- Support department workload by assisting other Technical Designers as needed.
- Ability to synthesize the same style across different categories and private label retailers’ requirements – juniors’ style to toddler, plus, maternity, girls, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of sample room and factory’s production capabilities, order of operations and production floor flow to help advise costing.
- Ability to spend time in the office with access to forms and manage virtual fittings with remote design team members.
- Reduce fit iterations to 1 round per style and eliminate fit all together with reorder styles.
- Develop and nurture strong cross functional partnerships, driving business results and inspiring a culture of transparency, collaboration, and accountability.
- Mentor and train technical designers and design team members to develop talent that delivers performance excellence.
- Manage production pattern library and fit & pre-production sample library.
- Comp shop and follow current market trends especially in fit and styling to enhance knowledge and therefore affect overall product fit, quality, and salability.
Skills and Attributes
- 6-8 years’ work experience in garment manufacturing, Technical Design, and specification development.
- Strong background in correcting fit for both knit and woven garments – childrenswear, sweaters and pets experience a plus.
- Browzwear or Lotta 3D software experience a plus.
· Proficient on Mac, Adobe & PLM platforms.
· Possess a positive and friendly personality that operates well within feedback culture. Ability to balance a strong management presence with a high level of approachability that encourages and elicits associate feedback and interaction.
- Operates with the highest level of conduct, integrity, and confidentiality; setting the example for leaders and associates.
· A self-motivated, organized, quick and eager learner, driven to innovate and execute with a collaborative attitude.
· Possesses a strong design aesthetic and eye for fashion.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that are required by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to talk or hear. The associate is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; as well as reach with hands and arms.
- The associate must frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to work in open environment with fluctuating temperatures and standard lighting.
- Ability to work on computer for multiple hours; with frequent interruptions.